Mitch Creek rejoins Boomers for FIBA 2019 World Cup
The Australian Boomers, who recently suffered an unexpected loss in Xavier Cooks, will have swingman Mitch Creek returning in the green and gold for the upcoming exhibition games and FIBA 2019 World Cup in China.
Fox Sports Australia’s Olgun Uluc confirmed this earlier on Twitter, and will join the team today.
Cooks, who had made an impression with the Boomers staff through training camp with his versatility, was reported as having suffered a meniscus tear during a Boomers training session in Perth.
Update: Luc Longley spoke about Cooks’ injury and Creek’s value to the team, in the final session for Perth.
“Well, it’s just a really sad thing for Xavier. I mean, he’s played so well at camp and he’s prepared himself well… I’m not a doctor, I don’t know what the injury is but I know it’s going to prevent him from playing with us, which is sad.
“The good news is, we got a guy that knows our system and has been a part of the Boomers before, come in in Mitch Creek. He was probably an unlucky omission from camp. That’s the great thing about having guys playing with us all year round, doing these things as they know what we do.”
Creek, who was cut during the Melbourne leg of the Boomers’ six-day training camp, played in the NBA last season, and played well during the recent NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.
He played for the Brooklyn Nets, then Minnesota Timberwolves in the regular season, suited up with the Timberwolves through Summer League. The 6’5 forward was reportedly cut from the Boomers due to fit issues, especially on shooting.
Creek however, is a player who has seen the NBA hardwood. His intangible qualities like leadership, effort, and experience with the Lemanis Boomers’ system will make him an invaluable fit, one that will require minimal transition. This is critical, given the limited time left before the Boomers embark on their journey to China.
All exhibition games in Australia will be available to watch on free to air, via SBS.
Australian Boomers 2019 FIBA World Cup game schedule
- September 1: Boomers vs. Canada, 5:30pm
- September 3: Boomers vs. Senegal, 5:30pm
- September 5: Boomers vs. Lithuania, 9:30pm
- September 7 & 9: Round of 16
- September 10 & 11: Quarter-finals
- September 13: Semi-finals
- September 15: Medal games
International Basketball Series game schedule
- Australian Boomers vs Canada Basketball, Friday 16 August 2019 , 7:30pm
- Australian Boomers vs Canada Basketball, Saturday 17 August 2019 , 7:30pm
- Canada Basketball vs New Zealand, Tuesday 20 August 2019 , 7:30pm
- Canada Basketball vs New Zealand, Wednesday 21 August 2019 , 7:30pm
- Australian Boomers vs USA Basketball, Thursday 22 August 2019 , 7:30pm
- Australian Boomers vs USA Basketball, Saturday 24 August 2019, 2:00pm
- USA Basketball vs Canada Basketball, Monday 26 August 2019, 7:30pm
All times are denoted in AEST.
Thank you for loving Aussie hoops! From Kein, Damian and #TeamPnR