FIBA 3x3: Aussie women advance, will face Russia in quarter-final
In the wake of two wins on Wednesday night against Andorra and Switzerland, the Aussie women entered the last day of the group stage, on top of Group B.
They consolidated that position with an overtime victory against Japan. Maddie Garrick proved the heroine by nailing a two-pointer in extra time.
The Aussies’ incredible 17-game winning streak in international competition came to an end in their final group stage game, falling to France 16-17 which dropped them to second spot.
The women’s team will take Russia on at 1am AEST tonight in the quarter-final. The semi-finals and medal games will then be held late Sunday night/early Monday morning Australian time.
Men fail to advance, one place away from qualifying
The men needed to sweep their final two group stage games after splitting Day 1 with a win over Brazil and a narrow loss to Poland. They were unable to contend with a strong Latvian outfit, falling 16-20, before bouncing back with a 22-12 win over Japan.
That victory was not enough to see them advance to the quarter-finals though in their FIBA 3×3 World Cup debut with their 2-2 record placing them third in Group D, one place outside a qualifying spot.
All World Cup games are live-streamed via the FIBA 3×3 YouTube channel while stats are available via the official tournament website.
Schedule for 2019 FIBA 3×3 World Cup
- June 19: Australian men def. Brazil 21-15
- June 19: Australian men def. by Poland 14-16
- June 20: Australian women def. Andorra 22-9
- June 20: Australian women def. Switzerland 20-14
- June 21: Australian men def. by Latvia 16-20
- June 21: Australian men def. Japan 22-12
- June 22: Australian women def. Japan 18-16 in OT
- June 22: Australian women def. by France 16-17
- June 23: Australian women quarter-final vs. Russia at 1am
- June 23: Australian women semi-finals at 10.10pm or 10.40pm
- June 24: Australian women bronze medal at 1.40am, gold medal at 2.50am
All times are indicated in AEST.
Thank you for loving Aussie hoops! From Kein, Damian and #TeamPnR